1.05.2012

Today's Bible story

January 5, 2012

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.


-----

+ First Reading: 1 John 3:11-21

11 For this is the message which you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another;

12 unlike Cain, who was of the evil one, and killed his brother. Why did he kill him? Because his works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

13 Don't be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you.

14 We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. He who doesn't love his brother remains in death.

15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life remaining in him.

16 By this we know love, because he laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

17 But whoever has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and closes his heart of compassion against him, how does the love of God remain in him?

18 My little children, let's not love in word only, neither with the tongue only, but in deed and truth.

19 And by this we know that we are of the truth, and persuade our hearts before him,

20 because if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. 21 Beloved, if our hearts don't condemn us, we have boldness toward God;

-----

+ Gospel: John 1:43-51

43 On the next day, he was determined to go out into Galilee, and he found Philip. Jesus said to him, "Follow me."

44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, of the city of Andrew and Peter.

45 Philip found Nathanael, and said to him, "We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, wrote: Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."

46 Nathanael said to him, "Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?"
Philip said to him, "Come and see."

47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and said about him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!"

48 Nathanael said to him, "How do you know me?"
Jesus answered him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you."

49 Nathanael answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are King of Israel!"

50 Jesus answered him, "Because I told you, 'I saw you underneath the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these!"

51 He said to him, "Most certainly, I tell you, hereafter you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

-----

+ Today's Reading: Song of Solomon 7:11-8:7

7:11 Come, my beloved, let us go forth into the field.
Let us lodge in the villages.

12 Let's go early up to the vineyards.
Let's see whether the vine has budded,
its blossom is open,
and the pomegranates are in flower.
There I will give you my love.

13 The mandrakes give forth fragrance.
At our doors are all kinds of precious fruits, new and old,
which I have stored up for you, my beloved.

8:1 Oh that you were like my brother,
who nursed from the breasts of my mother!
If I found you outside, I would kiss you;
yes, and no one would despise me.

2 I would lead you, bringing you into my mother's house,
who would instruct me.
I would have you drink spiced wine,
of the juice of my pomegranate.

3 His left hand would be under my head.
His right hand would embrace me.

4 I adjure you, daughters of Jerusalem,
that you not stir up, nor awaken love,
until it so desires.

Friends
5 Who is this who comes up from the wilderness,
leaning on her beloved?
Under the apple tree I aroused you.
There your mother conceived you.
There she was in labor and bore you.

6 Set me as a seal on your heart,
as a seal on your arm;
for love is strong as death.
Jealousy is as cruel as Sheol*.
Its flashes are flashes of fire,
a very flame of Yahweh.†

7 Many waters can't quench love,
neither can floods drown it.
If a man would give all the wealth of his house for love,
he would be utterly scorned.

-----