1.09.2012

Today's Bible story

January 9, 2012

The Feast of the Baptism of the Lord

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.


-----

Saints:
St. Adrian of Canterbury

-----

+ First Reading: Isaiah 42:1-4, 6-7

1 "Behold, my servant, whom I uphold;
my chosen, in whom my soul delights—
I have put my Spirit on him.
He will bring justice to the nations.

2 He will not shout,
nor raise his voice,
nor cause it to be heard in the street.

3 He won't break a bruised reed.
He won't quench a dimly burning wick.
He will faithfully bring justice.

4 He will not fail nor be discouraged,
until he has set justice in the earth,
and the islands will wait for his law."

6 "I, Yahweh, have called you in righteousness,
and will hold your hand,
and will keep you,
and make you a covenant for the people,
as a light for the nations;

7 to open the blind eyes,
to bring the prisoners out of the dungeon,
and those who sit in darkness out of the prison.

-----

+ Psalm: Psalms 30:1-3,8-10

A Psalm. A Song for the Dedication of the Temple. By David.

1 I will extol you, Yahweh, for you have raised me up,
and have not made my foes to rejoice over me.
2 Yahweh my God, I cried to you,
and you have healed me.

3 Yahweh, you have brought up my soul from Sheol*.
You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

8 I cried to you, Yahweh.
To Yahweh I made supplication:

9 "What profit is there in my destruction, if I go down to the pit?
Shall the dust praise you?
Shall it declare your truth?

10 Hear, Yahweh, and have mercy on me.
Yahweh, be my helper."

-----

+ Gospel: Mark 1:7-11

7 He preached, saying, "After me comes he who is mightier than I, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and loosen.
8 I baptized you in§ water, but he will baptize you in the Holy Spirit."

9 It happened in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized by John in the Jordan.

10 Immediately coming up from the water, he saw the heavens parting, and the Spirit descending on him like a dove.

11 A voice came out of the sky, "You are my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."


§1:8: The Greek word (en) translated here as "in" could also be translated as "with" in some contexts.

-----

+ Today's Reading : Isaiah 42:1-9、49:1-9

42:1 "Behold, my servant, whom I uphold;
my chosen, in whom my soul delights—
I have put my Spirit on him.
He will bring justice to the nations.

2 He will not shout,
nor raise his voice,
nor cause it to be heard in the street.

3 He won't break a bruised reed.
He won't quench a dimly burning wick.
He will faithfully bring justice.

4 He will not fail nor be discouraged,
until he has set justice in the earth,
and the islands will wait for his law."

5 Thus says God Yahweh,
he who created the heavens and stretched them out,
he who spread out the earth and that which comes out of it,
he who gives breath to its people and spirit to those who walk in it.

6 "I, Yahweh, have called you in righteousness,
and will hold your hand,
and will keep you,
and make you a covenant for the people,
as a light for the nations;

7 to open the blind eyes,
to bring the prisoners out of the dungeon,
and those who sit in darkness out of the prison.

8 "I am Yahweh.
That is my name.
I will not give my glory to another,
nor my praise to engraved images.

9 Behold, the former things have happened,
and I declare new things.
I tell you about them before they come up."

49:1 Listen, islands, to me; and listen, you peoples, from far: Yahweh has called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother has he made mention of my name:

2 and he has made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand, he has hidden me: and he has made me a polished shaft; in his quiver has he kept me close:

3 and he said to me, "You are my servant; Israel, in whom I will be glorified."

4 But I said, "I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely the justice due to me is with Yahweh, and my reward with my God."

5 Now says Yahweh who formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, and that Israel be gathered to him (for I am honorable in the eyes of Yahweh, and my God has become my strength);

6 yes, he says, "It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give you for a light to the nations, that you may be my salvation to the end of the earth."

7 Thus says Yahweh, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despises, to him whom the nation abhors, to a servant of rulers: "Kings shall see and arise; princes, and they shall worship; because of Yahweh who is faithful, even the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you."

8 Thus says Yahweh, "In an acceptable time have I answered you, and in a day of salvation have I helped you; and I will preserve you, and give you for a covenant of the people, to raise up the land, to make them inherit the desolate heritage:

9 saying to those who are bound, 'Come out!'; to those who are in darkness, 'Show yourselves!'
"They shall feed in the ways, and on all bare heights shall be their pasture.
-----