1.15.2012

Today's Bible story

January 15 2012

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.


-----

Saints:
St. Paul the Hermit

-----

+ First Reading: 1 Samuel 3:3b-10, 19

3b and the lamp of God hadn't yet gone out, and Samuel had laid down in Yahweh's temple, where the ark of God was;

4 that Yahweh called Samuel; and he said, "Here I am."

5 He ran to Eli, and said, "Here I am; for you called me."
He said, "I didn't call; lie down again."
He went and lay down.

6 Yahweh called yet again, "Samuel!"
Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, "Here I am; for you called me."
He answered, "I didn't call, my son; lie down again."

7 Now Samuel didn't yet know Yahweh, neither was the word of Yahweh yet revealed to him.

8 Yahweh called Samuel again the third time. He arose and went to Eli, and said, "Here I am; for you called me."
Eli perceived that Yahweh had called the child.

9 Therefore Eli said to Samuel, "Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he calls you, that you shall say, 'Speak, Yahweh; for your servant hears.'" So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

10 Yahweh came, and stood, and called as at other times, "Samuel! Samuel!"
Then Samuel said, "Speak; for your servant hears."

19 Samuel grew, and Yahweh was with him, and let none of his words fall to the ground.

-----

+ Psalm:

Psalm: Psalms (41:1,3,6-9)

For the Chief Musician. A Psalm by David.

1 Blessed is he who considers the poor.
Yahweh will deliver him in the day of evil.

3 Yahweh will sustain him on his sickbed,
and restore him from his bed of illness.

6 If he comes to see me, he speaks falsehood.
His heart gathers iniquity to itself.
When he goes abroad, he tells it.

7 All who hate me whisper together against me.
They imagine the worst for me.

8 "An evil disease", they say, "has afflicted him.
Now that he lies he shall rise up no more."

9 Yes, my own familiar friend, in whom I trusted,
who ate bread with me,
has lifted up his heel against me.

-----

+ Second Reading: 1 Corinthians 6:13c-15a, 17-20

13c But the body is not for sexual immorality, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body.

14 Now God raised up the Lord, and will also raise us up by his power.

15a Don't you know that your bodies are members of Christ?

17 But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit.

18 Flee sexual immorality! "Every sin that a man does is outside the body," but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.

19 Or don't you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you, which you have from God? You are not your own,

20 for you were bought with a price. Therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

-----

+ Gospel: John 1:35-42

35 Again, the next day, John was standing with two of his disciples,

36 and he looked at Jesus as he walked, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God!"

37 The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.

38 Jesus turned, and saw them following, and said to them, "What are you looking for?"
They said to him, "Rabbi" (which is to say, being interpreted, Teacher), "where are you staying?"

39 He said to them, "Come, and see."
They came and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day. It was about the tenth hour.§

40 One of the two who heard John, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first found his own brother, Simon, and said to him, "We have found the Messiah!" (which is, being interpreted, Christ**).

42 He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, "You are Simon the son of Jonah. You shall be called Cephas" (which is by interpretation, Peter).

§1:39: 4:00 PM.

**1:41: "Messiah" (Hebrew) and "Christ" (Greek) both mean "Anointed One".

-----

+ Today's Reading: Genesis(9:1-17)

1 God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

2 The fear of you and the dread of you will be on every animal of the earth, and on every bird of the sky. Everything that the ground teems with, and all the fish of the sea are delivered into your hand.

3 Every moving thing that lives will be food for you. As the green herb, I have given everything to you.

4 But flesh with its life, its blood, you shall not eat.

5 I will surely require your blood of your lives. At the hand of every animal I will require it. At the hand of man, even at the hand of every man's brother, I will require the life of man.

6 Whoever sheds man's blood, his blood will be shed by man, for God made man in his own image.

7 Be fruitful and multiply. Increase abundantly in the earth, and multiply in it."

8 God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying,

9 "As for me, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your offspring after you,

10 and with every living creature that is with you: the birds, the livestock, and every animal of the earth with you, of all that go out of the ship, even every animal of the earth.

11 I will establish my covenant with you: all flesh will not be cut off any more by the waters of the flood, neither will there ever again be a flood to destroy the earth."

12 God said, "This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:

13 I set my rainbow in the cloud, and it will be for a sign of a covenant between me and the earth.

14 It will happen, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow will be seen in the cloud,

15 and I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh, and the waters will no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.

16 The rainbow will be in the cloud. I will look at it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth."

17 God said to Noah, "This is the token of the covenant which I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth."

-----