1.27.2012

Today's Bible story

January 27, 2012

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.

-----

Saints:
St. Angela Merici

-----

+ First Reading: 2 Samuel 1:1-4a, 5-10a, 13-17

1 After the death of Saul, when David had returned from the slaughter of the Amalekites, and David had stayed two days in Ziklag;

2 on the third day, behold,* a man came out of the camp from Saul, with his clothes torn, and earth on his head: and so it was, when he came to David, that he fell to the earth, and showed respect.

3 David said to him, "Where do you come from?"
He said to him, "I have escaped out of the camp of Israel."

4a David said to him, "How did it go? Please tell me."
He answered, "The people have fled from the battle, and many of the people also have fallen and are dead; and Saul and Jonathan his son are dead also."

5 David said to the young man who told him, "How do you know that Saul and Jonathan his son are dead?"

6 The young man who told him said, "As I happened by chance on Mount Gilboa, behold, Saul was leaning on his spear; and behold, the chariots and the horsemen followed hard after him.

7 When he looked behind him, he saw me, and called to me. I answered, 'Here I am.'

8 He said to me, 'Who are you?' I answered him, 'I am an Amalekite.'

9 He said to me, 'Please stand beside me, and kill me; for anguish has taken hold of me, because my life is yet whole in me.'

10a So I stood beside him, and killed him, because I was sure that he could not live after that he had fallen. I took the crown that was on his head, and the bracelet that was on his arm, and have brought them here to my lord."

13 David said to the young man who told him, "Where are you from?"
He answered, "I am the son of a foreigner, an Amalekite."

14 David said to him, "How were you not afraid to stretch out your hand to destroy Yahweh's anointed?"

15 David called one of the young men, and said, "Go near, and fall on him." He struck him, so that he died.

16 David said to him, "Your blood be on your head; for your mouth has testified against you, saying, 'I have slain Yahweh's anointed.'"

17 David lamented with this lamentation over Saul and over Jonathan his son

-----

+ Psalm: Psalms 51:1-10

1 Have mercy on me, God, according to your loving kindness.
According to the multitude of your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions.

2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity.
Cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I know my transgressions.
My sin is constantly before me.

4 Against you, and you only, have I sinned,
and done that which is evil in your sight;
that you may be proved right when you speak,
and justified when you judge.

5 Behold, I was born in iniquity.
In sin my mother conceived me.

6 Behold, you desire truth in the inward parts.
You teach me wisdom in the inmost place.

7 Purify me with hyssop, and I will be clean.
Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

8 Let me hear joy and gladness,
That the bones which you have broken may rejoice.

9 Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all of my iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a right spirit within me.

-----

+ Gospel: Mark 4:26-34

26 He said, "The Kingdom of God is as if a man should cast seed on the earth,

27 and should sleep and rise night and day, and the seed should spring up and grow, he doesn't know how.

28 For the earth bears fruit: first the blade, then the ear, then the full grain in the ear.

29 But when the fruit is ripe, immediately he puts in the sickle, because the harvest has come."

30 He said, "How will we liken the Kingdom of God? Or with what parable will we illustrate it?

31 It's like a grain of mustard seed, which, when it is sown in the earth, though it is less than all the seeds that are on the earth,

32 yet when it is sown, grows up, and becomes greater than all the herbs, and puts out great branches, so that the birds of the sky can lodge under its shadow."

33 With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to hear it.

34 Without a parable he didn't speak to them; but privately to his own disciples he explained everything.

-----

+ Today's Reading: Genesis 24:32-41、49-67

32 The man came into the house, and he unloaded the camels. He gave straw and provender for the camels, and water to wash his feet and the feet of the men who were with him.

33 Food was set before him to eat, but he said, "I will not eat until I have told my message."
He said, "Speak on."

34 He said, "I am Abraham's servant.

35 Yahweh has blessed my master greatly. He has become great. He has given him flocks and herds, silver and gold, male servants and female servants, and camels and donkeys.

36 Sarah, my master's wife, bore a son to my master when she was old. He has given all that he has to him.

37 My master made me swear, saying, 'You shall not take a wife for my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I live,

38 but you shall go to my father's house, and to my relatives, and take a wife for my son.'

39 I asked my master, 'What if the woman will not follow me?'

40 He said to me, 'Yahweh, before whom I walk, will send his angel with you, and prosper your way. You shall take a wife for my son of my relatives, and of my father's house.

41 Then will you be clear from my oath, when you come to my relatives. If they don't give her to you, you shall be clear from my oath.'

49 Now if you will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me. If not, tell me, that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left."

50 Then Laban and Bethuel answered, "The thing proceeds from Yahweh. We can't speak to you bad or good.

51 Behold, Rebekah is before you. Take her, and go, and let her be your master's son's wife, as Yahweh has spoken."

52 When Abraham's servant heard their words, he bowed himself down to the earth to Yahweh.

53 The servant brought out jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and clothing, and gave them to Rebekah. He also gave precious things to her brother and her mother.

54 They ate and drank, he and the men who were with him, and stayed all night. They rose up in the morning, and he said, "Send me away to my master."

55 Her brother and her mother said, "Let the young lady stay with us a few days, at least ten. After that she will go."

56 He said to them, "Don't hinder me, since Yahweh has prospered my way. Send me away that I may go to my master."

57 They said, "We will call the young lady, and ask her."

58 They called Rebekah, and said to her, "Will you go with this man?"
She said, "I will go."

59 They sent away Rebekah, their sister, with her nurse, Abraham's servant, and his men.

60 They blessed Rebekah, and said to her, "Our sister, may you be the mother of thousands of ten thousands, and let your seed possess the gate of those who hate them."

61 Rebekah arose with her ladies. They rode on the camels, and followed the man. The servant took Rebekah, and went his way.

62 Isaac came from the way of Beer Lahai Roi, for he lived in the land of the South.

63 Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the evening. He lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, there were camels coming.

64 Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she dismounted from the camel.

65 She said to the servant, "Who is the man who is walking in the field to meet us?"
The servant said, "It is my master."
She took her veil, and covered herself.

66 The servant told Isaac all the things that he had done.

67 Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife. He loved her. Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.

-----