4.05.2012

Today's Bible story

April 5, 2012

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.

-----

+ Saints: St. Vincent Ferrer

-----

+ First Reading: Isaiah 61:1-3a, 6a, 8b-9

1 The Spirit of the Lord Yahweh is on me;
because Yahweh has anointed me to preach good news to the humble.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and release to those who are bound;

2 to proclaim the year of Yahweh's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn;

3a to appoint to those who mourn in Zion,
(to give to them a garland for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of Yahweh, that he may be glorified.)

6a But you shall be named the priests of Yahweh;
( men will call you the ministers of our God: you will eat the wealth of the nations, and you will boast in their glory.)

8 "For I, Yahweh, love justice, I hate robbery with iniquity; and I will give them their recompense in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them. 9 Their seed shall be known among the nations, and their offspring among the peoples; all who see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which Yahweh has blessed."

-----

+ Psalm: Psalms 89:20-21,24,26

20 I have found David, my servant.
I have anointed him with my holy oil,

21 with whom my hand shall be established.
My arm will also strengthen him.

24 But my faithfulness and my loving kindness will be with him.
In my name, his horn will be exalted.

26 He will call to me, 'You are my Father,
my God, and the rock of my salvation!'

-----

+ Second Reading: Revelation 1:5-8

5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us, and washed us from our sins by his blood;

6 and he made us to be a Kingdom, priests† to his God and Father; to him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

7 Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, including those who pierced him. All the tribes of the earth will mourn over him. Even so, Amen.

8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega,‡" says the Lord God,§ "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

†1:6: Exodus 19:6; Isaiah 61:6

‡1:8: TR adds "the Beginning and the End"

§1:8: TR omits "God"

-----

+ Gospel: Luke 4:16-21

16 He came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. He entered, as was his custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

17 The book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. He opened the book, and found the place where it was written,

18 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted,**
to proclaim release to the captives,
recovering of sight to the blind,
to deliver those who are crushed,

19 and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."††

20 He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fastened on him.

21 He began to tell them, "Today, this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."

**4:18: NU omits "to heal the brokenhearted"

††4:19: Isaiah 61:1-2

-----

+ Today's Reading: Jeremiah 15:10-21

10 Woe is me, my mother, that you have borne me a man of strife and a man of contention to the whole earth! I have not lent, neither have men lent to me; yet everyone of them curses me.

11 Yahweh said, Most certainly I will strengthen you for good; most certainly I will cause the enemy to make supplication to you in the time of evil and in the time of affliction.

12 Can one break iron, even iron from the north, and brass?

13 Your substance and your treasures will I give for a plunder without price, and that for all your sins, even in all your borders.

14 I will make them to pass with your enemies into a land which you don't know; for a fire is kindled in my anger, which shall burn on you.

15 Yahweh, you know; remember me, and visit me, and avenge me of my persecutors; don't take me away in your longsuffering: know that for your sake I have suffered reproach.

16 Your words were found, and I ate them; and your words were to me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by your name, Yahweh, God of Armies.

17 I didn't sit in the assembly of those who make merry, nor rejoiced; I sat alone because of your hand; for you have filled me with indignation.

18 Why is my pain perpetual, and my wound incurable, which refuses to be healed? Will you indeed be to me as a deceitful brook, as waters that fail?

19 Therefore thus says Yahweh, If you return, then will I bring you again, that you may stand before me; and if you take forth the precious from the vile, you shall be as my mouth: they shall return to you, but you shall not return to them.

20 I will make you to this people a fortified bronze wall; and they shall fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you; for I am with you to save you and to deliver you, says Yahweh.

21 I will deliver you out of the hand of the wicked, and I will redeem you out of the hand of the terrible.

-----