7.28.2012

Today's Bible story

July 28, 2012

Saturday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.

-----

+ Saints: St. Victor I, Pope

-----

+ First Reading: Jeremiah 7:1-11

1 The word that came to Jeremiah from Yahweh, saying,

2 "Stand in the gate of Yahweh's house, and proclaim there this word, and say, 'Hear the word of Yahweh, all you of Judah, who enter in at these gates to worship Yahweh.'"

3 Thus says Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel, "Amend your ways and your doings, and I will cause you to dwell in this place.

4 Don't trust in lying words, saying, ?Yahweh's temple, Yahweh's temple, Yahweh's temple, are these.'

5 For if you thoroughly amend your ways and your doings; if you thoroughly execute justice between a man and his neighbor;

6 if you don't oppress the foreigner, the fatherless, and the widow, and don't shed innocent blood in this place, neither walk after other gods to your own hurt:

7 then I will cause you to dwell in this place, in the land that I gave to your fathers, from of old even forevermore.

8 Behold, you trust in lying words, that can't profit.

9 Will you steal, murder, and commit adultery, and swear falsely, and burn incense to Baal, and walk after other gods that you have not known,

10 and come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, ?We are delivered;' that you may do all these abominations?

11 Has this house, which is called by my name, become a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, I, even I, have seen it," says Yahweh.

-----

+ Psalm: Psalms 84:2-5a, 7a, 10

2 My soul longs, and even faints for the courts of Yahweh.
My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.

3 Yes, the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young,
near your altars, Yahweh of Armies, my King, and my God.

4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house.
They are always praising you.
Selah.

5a Blessed are those whose strength is in you;

7a They go from strength to strength.

10 For a day in your courts is better than a thousand.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God,
than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

-----

+ Gospel: Matthew 13:24-30

24 He set another parable before them, saying, "The Kingdom of Heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field,

25 but while people slept, his enemy came and sowed darnel weeds †also among the wheat, and went away.

26 But when the blade sprang up and brought forth fruit, then the darnel weeds appeared also.

27 The servants of the householder came and said to him, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where did this darnel come from?'

28 "He said to them, 'An enemy has done this.'
"The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and gather them up?'

29 "But he said, 'No, lest perhaps while you gather up the darnel weeds, you root up the wheat with them.

30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and in the harvest time I will tell the reapers, "First, gather up the darnel weeds, and bind them in bundles to burn them; but gather the wheat into my barn."'"

†13:25: darnel is a weed grass (probably bearded darnel or lolium temulentum) that looks very much like wheat until it is mature, when the difference becomes very apparent.

-----

+ Today's Reading: Job 23:1-24:12

1 Then Job answered,

2 "Even today my complaint is rebellious.
His hand is heavy in spite of my groaning.

3 Oh that I knew where I might find him!
That I might come even to his seat!

4 I would set my cause in order before him,
and fill my mouth with arguments.

5 I would know the words which he would answer me,
and understand what he would tell me.

6 Would he contend with me in the greatness of his power?
No, but he would listen to me.

7 There the upright might reason with him,
so I should be delivered forever from my judge.

8 "If I go east, he is not there;
if west, I can't find him;

9 He works to the north, but I can't see him.
He turns south, but I can't catch a glimpse of him.

10 But he knows the way that I take.
When he has tried me, I shall come forth like gold.

11 My foot has held fast to his steps.
I have kept his way, and not turned aside.

12 I haven't gone back from the commandment of his lips.
I have treasured up the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

13 But he stands alone, and who can oppose him?
What his soul desires, even that he does.

14 For he performs that which is appointed for me.
Many such things are with him.

15 Therefore I am terrified at his presence.
When I consider, I am afraid of him.

16 For God has made my heart faint.
The Almighty has terrified me.

17 Because I was not cut off before the darkness,
neither did he cover the thick darkness from my face.

24:1 "Why aren't times laid up by the Almighty?
Why don't those who know him see his days?

2 There are people who remove the landmarks.
They violently take away flocks, and feed them.

3 They drive away the donkey of the fatherless,
and they take the widow's ox for a pledge.

4 They turn the needy out of the way.
The poor of the earth all hide themselves.

5 Behold, as wild donkeys in the desert,
they go forth to their work, seeking diligently for food.
The wilderness yields them bread for their children.

6 They cut their provender in the field.
They glean the vineyard of the wicked.

7 They lie all night naked without clothing,
and have no covering in the cold.

8 They are wet with the showers of the mountains,
and embrace the rock for lack of a shelter.

9 There are those who pluck the fatherless from the breast,
and take a pledge of the poor,

10 So that they go around naked without clothing.
Being hungry, they carry the sheaves.

11 They make oil within the walls of these men.
They tread wine presses, and suffer thirst.

12 From out of the populous city, men groan.
The soul of the wounded cries out,
yet God doesn't regard the folly.

-----