9.24.2012

Today's Bible story

September 24, 2012

Monday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time.

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.

-----

+ Saints: Blessed Anton Martin Slomshek

-----

+ First Reading: Proverbs 3:27-34

27 Don't withhold good from those to whom it is due,
when it is in the power of your hand to do it.

28 Don't say to your neighbor, "Go, and come again;
tomorrow I will give it to you,"
when you have it by you.

29 Don't devise evil against your neighbor,
since he dwells securely by you.

30 Don't strive with a man without cause,
if he has done you no harm.

31 Don't envy the man of violence.
Choose none of his ways.

32 For the perverse is an abomination to Yahweh,
but his friendship is with the upright.

33 Yahweh's curse is in the house of the wicked,
but he blesses the habitation of the righteous.

34 Surely he mocks the mockers,
but he gives grace to the humble.

-----

+ Psalm: Psalms 15:2-5

2 He who walks blamelessly does what is right,
and speaks truth in his heart;

3 He who doesn't slander with his tongue,
nor does evil to his friend,
nor casts slurs against his fellow man;

4 In whose eyes a vile man is despised,
but who honors those who fear Yahweh;
he who keeps an oath even when it hurts, and doesn't change;

5 he who doesn't lend out his money for usury,
nor take a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things shall never be shaken.

-----

+ Gospel: Luke 8:16-18

16 "No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a container, or puts it under a bed; but puts it on a stand, that those who enter in may see the light.

17 For nothing is hidden, that will not be revealed; nor anything secret, that will not be known and come to light.

18 Be careful therefore how you hear. For whoever has, to him will be given; and whoever doesn't have, from him will be taken away even that which he thinks he has."

-----

+ Today's Reading: Tobit 2:1-3:6

2:1 Now when I arrived home again, and my wife Anna was restored to me with my son Tobias, at the feast of Pentecost, which is the holy feast of the seven weeks, a good dinner was prepared for me, which I sat down to eat.

2 And when I saw the abundance of meat, I said to my son, "Go and bring whatsoever poor man you find among our brethren, who is mindful of the Lord, and, see, I will wait for you."

3 But he returned and said, "Father, one of our nation was strangled and cast out in the marketplace."

4 Then, before I had tasted any of the meat, I went out, and took him up into a room until sundown.

5 Then I returned, and washed myself, and ate my meat in sadness,

6 remembering the prophecy of Amos, as he said, "Your feasts shall be turned into mourning and all your mirth into lamentation."

7 Therefore I wept, and after sundown I went and made a grave and buried him.

8 But my neighbors mocked me and said, "This man is still not afraid to be put to death for this matter; and, see, though he fled away before, he now buries the dead again."

9 That same night, I returned from the burial and slept by the wall of my courtyard, because I was polluted. And my face was uncovered,

10 and I didn't know that there were sparrows in the wall. And, since my eyes were open, the sparrows emitted warm dung into my eyes, and a whiteness fell into my eyes. And I went to the physicians, but they didn't help me. Moreover, Achiacharus had to nourish me, until I went into Elymais.

11 And my wife Anna took in women's work.

12 And when she had sent these home again to the owners, they paid her her wages and gave her in addition a young goat.

13 And when it was in my house, and began to call out, I said to her, "Where did this young goat come from? Is it not stolen? Return it to the owners, for it is not lawful to eat anything which is stolen."

14 But she replied to me, "It was given as a gift, over and above my wages." However, I did not believe her, but directed her to return it to the owners, and I was ashamed at her. But she replied to me, "Where are your alms and your righteous deeds? See now, you and all your works are known."

3:1 Then I was grieved and I wept, and in my sorrow I prayed, saying,

2 "O Lord, you are just, and all your works and all your ways are mercy and truth, and you judge truly and justly for ever.

3 Remember me and look upon me, do not punish me for my sins and my ignorance, nor for the sins of my fathers, who sinned before you,

4 for they did not obey your commandments. Therefore you have delivered us as plunder, and into captivity, and to death, and as a proverb of reproach to all the nations among whom we are dispersed.

5 And now your judgments are many and true. Deal with me according to my sins and my fathers' sins, because we have not kept your commandments, nor have we walked in truth before you.

6 Now therefore deal with me as it seems best to you, and command my spirit to be taken from me, so that I may be dissolved and become earth; for it is better for me to die than to live, because I have heard false reproaches and have much sorrow. Command therefore that I may now be delivered out of this distress and go into the everlasting place. Do not turn your face away from me."

-----