9.03.2012

Today's Bible story

September 3, 2012

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.

-----

+ Saints: St. Gregory the Great

-----

+ First Reading: 1 Corinthians 2:1-5

1 When I came to you, brothers, I didn't come with excellence of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God.

2 For I determined not to know anything among you, except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling.

4 My speech and my preaching were not in persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,

5 that your faith wouldn't stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

-----

+ Psalm: Psalms 119:97-102

97 How I love your law!
It is my meditation all day.

98 Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies,
for your commandments are always with me.

99 I have more understanding than all my teachers,
for your testimonies are my meditation.

100 I understand more than the aged,
because I have kept your precepts.

101 I have kept my feet from every evil way,
that I might observe your word.

102 I have not turned aside from your ordinances,
for you have taught me.

-----

+ Gospel: Luke 4:16-30

16 He came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. He entered, as was his custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

17 The book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. He opened the book, and found the place where it was written,

18 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted,**
to proclaim release to the captives,
recovering of sight to the blind,
to deliver those who are crushed,

19 and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."††

20 He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fastened on him.

21 He began to tell them, "Today, this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."

22 All testified about him, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth, and they said, "Isn't this Joseph's son?"

23 He said to them, "Doubtless you will tell me this parable, 'Physician, heal yourself! Whatever we have heard done at Capernaum, do also here in your hometown.'"

24 He said, "Most certainly I tell you, no prophet is acceptable in his hometown.

25 But truly I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the sky was shut up three years and six months, when a great famine came over all the land.

26 Elijah was sent to none of them, except to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow.

27 There were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed, except Naaman, the Syrian."

28 They were all filled with wrath in the synagogue, as they heard these things.

29 They rose up, threw him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill that their city was built on, that they might throw him off the cliff.

30 But he, passing through their midst, went his way.

**4:18: NU omits "to heal the brokenhearted"

††4:19: Isaiah 61:1-2

-----

+ Today's Reading: 1 Timothy 6:1-10

1 Let as many as are bondservants under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honor, that the name of God and the doctrine not be blasphemed.

2 Those who have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brothers, but rather let them serve them, because those who partake of the benefit are believing and beloved. Teach and exhort these things.

3 If anyone teaches a different doctrine, and doesn't consent to sound words, the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness,

4 he is conceited, knowing nothing, but obsessed with arguments, disputes, and word battles, from which come envy, strife, insulting, evil suspicions,

5 constant friction of people of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. Withdraw yourself from such. *

6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we certainly can't carry anything out.

8 But having food and clothing, we will be content with that.

9 But those who are determined to be rich fall into a temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful lusts, such as drown men in ruin and destruction.

10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some have been led astray from the faith in their greed, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

-----