10.03.2012

Today's Bible story

October 3, 2012

Wednesday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.

-----

+ Saints: Blessed Anne-The're`se Gue'rin

-----

+ First Reading: Job 9:1-12, 14-16

1 Then Job answered,

2 "Truly I know that it is so,
but how can man be just with God?

3 If he is pleased to contend with him,
he can't answer him one time in a thousand.

4 God who is wise in heart, and mighty in strength:
who has hardened himself against him, and prospered?

5 He removes the mountains, and they don't know it,
when he overturns them in his anger.

6 He shakes the earth out of its place.
Its pillars tremble.

7 He commands the sun, and it doesn't rise,
and seals up the stars.

8 He alone stretches out the heavens,
and treads on the waves of the sea.

9 He makes the Bear, Orion, and the Pleiades,
and the rooms of the south.

10 He does great things past finding out;
yes, marvelous things without number.

11 Behold, he goes by me, and I don't see him.
He passes on also, but I don't perceive him.

12 Behold, he snatches away.
Who can hinder him?
Who will ask him, 'What are you doing?'

14 How much less shall I answer him,
And choose my words to argue with him?

15 Though I were righteous, yet I wouldn't answer him.
I would make supplication to my judge.

16 If I had called, and he had answered me,
yet I wouldn't believe that he listened to my voice.

-----

+ Psalm: Psalms 88:9bc-14

9bc I have called on you daily, Yahweh.
I have spread out my hands to you.

10 Do you show wonders to the dead?
Do the dead rise up and praise you?
Selah.

11 Is your loving kindness declared in the grave?
Or your faithfulness in Destruction?

12 Are your wonders made known in the dark?
Or your righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?

13 But to you, Yahweh, I have cried.
In the morning, my prayer comes before you.

14 Yahweh, why do you reject my soul?
Why do you hide your face from me?

-----

+ Gospel: Luke 9:57-62

57 As they went on the way, a certain man said to him, "I want to follow you wherever you go, Lord."

58 Jesus said to him, "The foxes have holes, and the birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

59 He said to another, "Follow me!"
But he said, "Lord, allow me first to go and bury my father."

60 But Jesus said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead, but you go and announce the Kingdom of God."

61 Another also said, "I want to follow you, Lord, but first allow me to say good-bye to those who are at my house."

62 But Jesus said to him, "No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the Kingdom of God."

-----

+ Today's Reading: Judith 8:1a、9b-14、28-32、9:1-6、11-14

1a Now at that time Judith heard about this;

9b for Judith had heard all the words that Uzziah had spoken to them and that he had sworn to deliver the city to the Assyrians after five days.

10 So then she sent her woman servant, who was in charge of everything that she had, to call Uzziah and Chabris and Charmis, the elders of the city.

11 And they came to her, and she said to them, "Hear me now, you governors of the inhabitants of Bethulia; for your words which you spoke before the people this day are not right, concerning this oath which you made and pronounced between God and yourselves, and your promise to deliver the city to our enemies, unless within these days the Lord turns to help you.

12 And now who are you to have tempted God this day, and to stand among the children of men instead of God?

13 And now test the Lord Almighty, but you will never know anything.

14 For you cannot find the depth of the heart of man, neither can you perceive the things which he thinks; so then how can you search out God, who has made all these things, and know his mind or comprehend his purpose? No, my brethren, do not provoke the Lord our God to anger.

28 Then Uzziah said to her, "All that you have spoken, you have spoken with a good heart and there is no one who can refute your words.

29 For this is not the first day that your wisdom has been manifested; but from the beginning of your days all the people have known your understanding, because the disposition of your heart has been good.

30 But the people were very thirsty; and they compelled us to do to them as we have spoken and to bring an oath on ourselves, which we will not break.

31 Now therefore pray for us, because you are a godly woman, and then the Lord will send us rain to fill our cisterns and we will faint no more."

32 Then Judith said to them, "Listen to me and I will do something which will be remembered throughout all generations among the children of our nation.

9:1 Judith fell upon her face and put ashes on her head and uncovered the sackcloth she was wearing; and, about the time that the incense of that evening was offered in Jerusalem in the house of the Lord, Judith cried with a loud voice, and said,

2 "O Lord God of my father Simeon, to whom you gave a sword to take vengeance on the strangers, who loosened the girdle of a maid to defile her, and uncovered the thigh to her shame, and polluted her virginity to her reproach; for you said, 'It will not be so,' and yet they did so.

3 Therefore you gave their rulers to be slain, so that they dyed their bed in blood, being deceived, and you struck the servants with their lords and the lords upon their thrones;

4 and you have given their wives for a prey and their daughters to be captives and all their plunder to be divided among your dear children, who were moved with your zeal and abhorred the pollution of their blood and called upon you for aid. O God, my God, hear me also for I am a widow.

5 "And you have wrought not only those things, but also the things which happened before and which followed afterwards; you have thought about the things which are now and which are to come.

6 Yes, the things you established were ready at hand, and they said, 'Lo, we are here,' for all your ways are prepared and your judgments are in your foreknowledge.

11 For your power is not found in numbers, nor your might in strong men; for you are a God of the afflicted, a helper of the oppressed, an upholder of the weak, a protector of the forlorn, a savior of those who are without hope.

12 "I pray to you, I beg you, O God of my father and God of the inheritance of Israel, Lord of the heavens and the earth, Creator of the waters, King of every creature, hear my prayer;

13 and make my speech and deceit to be their wound and stripe, who have resolved cruel things against your covenant and your hallowed house, and against the top of Zion and the house of the possession of your children;

14 and so make every nation and tribe acknowledge that you are the God of all power and might, and that there is no other who protects the people of Israel but you."

-----