1.29.2013

Today's Bible story

January 29, 2013

Tuesday of the Third Week in Ordinary Time

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.

-----

+ Saints: St. Gildas the Wise

-----

+ First Reading: Hebrews 10:1-10

1 God, having in the past spoken to the fathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways,

2 has at the end of these days spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom also he made the worlds.

3 His Son is the radiance of his glory, the very image of his substance, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purified us of our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

4 having become so much better than the angels, as he has inherited a more excellent name than they have.

5 For to which of the angels did he say at any time,
"You are my Son.
Today have I become your father?"☆Psalm 2:7
and again,
"I will be to him a Father,
and he will be to me a Son?"☆2 Samuel 7:14; 1 Chronicles 17:13

6 When he again brings in the firstborn into the world he says, "Let all the angels of God worship him."☆Deuteronomy 32:43 LXX

7 Of the angels he says,
"Who makes his angels winds,
and his servants a flame of fire."☆Psalm 104:4

8 But of the Son he says,
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever.
The scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your Kingdom.

9 You have loved righteousness, and hated iniquity;
therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness above your fellows."☆Psalm 45:6-7

10 And,
"You, Lord, in the beginning, laid the foundation of the earth.
The heavens are the works of your hands.

☆1:5: Psalm 2:7

☆1:5: 2 Samuel 7:14; 1 Chronicles 17:13

☆1:6: Deuteronomy 32:43 LXX

☆1:7: Psalm 104:4

☆1:9: Psalm 45:6-7

-----

+ Psalm: Psalms 40:1 and 3ab, 6-7a, 9, 10

1 I waited patiently for Yahweh.
He turned to me, and heard my cry.

3ab He has put a new song in my mouth, even praise to our God.

6 Sacrifice and offering you didn't desire.
You have opened my ears.

You have not required burnt offering and sin offering.

7a Then I said, "Behold, I have come.

9 I have proclaimed glad news of righteousness in the great assembly.
Behold, I will not seal my lips, Yahweh, you know.

10 I have not hidden your righteousness within my heart.
I have declared your faithfulness and your salvation.
I have not concealed your loving kindness and your truth from the great assembly.

-----

+ Gospel: Mark 3:31-35

31 His mother and his brothers came, and standing outside, they sent to him, calling him.

32 A multitude was sitting around him, and they told him, "Behold, your mother, your brothers, and your sisters†TR omits "your sisters" are outside looking for you."

33 He answered them, "Who are my mother and my brothers?"

34 Looking around at those who sat around him, he said, "Behold, my mother and my brothers!

35 For whoever does the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother."

†3:32: TR omits "your sisters"

-----

+ Today's Reading: Romans 9:1-18

1 I tell the truth in Christ. I am not lying, my conscience testifying with me in the Holy Spirit,

2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing pain in my heart.

3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brothers' sake, my relatives according to the flesh,

4 who are Israelites; whose is the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service, and the promises;

5 of whom are the fathers, and from whom is Christ as concerning the flesh, who is over all, God, blessed forever. Amen.

6 But it is not as though the word of God has come to nothing. For they are not all Israel, that are of Israel.

7 Neither, because they are Abraham's offspring,*or, seed are they all children. But, "your offspring†or, seed will be accounted as from Isaac."☆Genesis 21:12

8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as heirs.

9 For this is a word of promise, "At the appointed time I will come, and Sarah will have a son."☆Genesis 18:10,14

10 Not only so, but Rebekah also conceived by one, by our father Isaac.

11 For being not yet born, neither having done anything good or bad, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him who calls,‡NA puts the phrase "not of works, but of him who calls" at the beginning of verse 12 instead of the end of verse 11.

12 it was said to her, "The elder will serve the younger."☆Genesis 25:23

13 Even as it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."☆Malachi 1:2-3

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? May it never be!

15 For he said to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."☆Exodus 33:19

16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who has mercy.

17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I caused you to be raised up, that I might show in you my power, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."☆Exodus 9:16

18 So then, he has mercy on whom he desires, and he hardens whom he desires.

*9:7: or, seed

†9:7: or, seed

☆9:7: Genesis 21:12

☆9:9: Genesis 18:10,14

‡9:11: NA puts the phrase "not of works, but of him who calls" at the beginning of verse 12 instead of the end of verse 11.

☆9:12: Genesis 25:23

☆9:13: Malachi 1:2-3

☆9:15: Exodus 33:19

☆9:17: Exodus 9:16

-----