6.04.2013

Today's Bible story

June 4, 2013

Tuesday of the Ninth Week in Ordinary Time

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

★Zondervan King James Audio Bible
http://www.biblegateway.com/audio/dramatized/kjv/Mark.12

-----

+ Saints:
St. Francis Caracciolo
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/saint.php?n=489

St. Optatus
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/saint.php?n=695

-----

Gospel: Mark 12:13-17

13 They sent some of the Pharisees and of the Herodians to him, that they might trap him with words.

14 When they had come, they asked him, "Teacher, we know that you are honest, and don't defer to anyone; for you aren't partial to anyone, but truly teach the way of God. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?

15 Shall we give, or shall we not give?"
But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said to them, "Why do you test me? Bring me a denarius, that I may see it."

16 They brought it.
He said to them, "Whose is this image and inscription?"
They said to him, "Caesar's."

17 Jesus answered them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."
They marveled greatly at him.

-----

Tobit 2:9-14

9 And the same night I returned from burying him, and slept by the wall of my courtyard, being polluted; and my face was uncovered:

10 and I knew not that there were sparrows in the wall; and, mine eyes being open, the sparrows muted warm dung into mine eyes, and white films came in mine eyes; and I went to the physicians, and they helped me not: but Achiacharus did nourish me, * until I went into Elymais.

11 And my wife Anna did spin in the women's chambers,

12 and did send the work back to the owners. And they on their part paid her wages, and gave her also besides a kid.

13 But when it came to my house, it began to cry, and I said to her, From whence is this kid? is it stolen? render it to the owners; for it is not lawful to eat anything that is stolen.

14 But she said, It has been given me for a gift more than the wages. And I did not believe her, and I bade her render it to the owners; and I was abashed at her. But she answered and said to me, Where are your alms and your righteous deeds? behold, † you and all your works are known.


†2:14: Gr. all things are known with you.

-----

* James 3:1-12

1 Let not many of you be teachers, my brothers, knowing that we will receive heavier judgment.

2 For in many things we all stumble. If anyone doesn't stumble in word, the same is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body also.

3 Indeed, we put bits into the horses' mouths so that they may obey us, and we guide their whole body.

4 Behold,* the ships also, though they are so big and are driven by fierce winds, are yet guided by a very small rudder, wherever the pilot desires.

5 So the tongue is also a little member, and boasts great things. See how a small fire can spread to a large forest!

6 And the tongue is a fire. The world of iniquity among our members is the tongue, which defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature, and is set on fire by Gehenna.†

7 For every kind of animal, bird, creeping thing, and sea creature, is tamed, and has been tamed by mankind;

8 but nobody can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

9 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who are made in the image of God.

10 Out of the same mouth comes blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

11 Does a spring send out from the same opening fresh and bitter water?

12 Can a fig tree, my brothers, yield olives, or a vine figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh water.


*3:4: "Behold", from "?δο?", means look at, take notice, observe, see, or gaze at. It is often used as an interjection.

†3:6: or, Hell

-----

☆The New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE)
http://www.usccb.org/bible/books-of-the-bible/

☆Douay-Rheims Bible
http://www.drbo.org/

-----