7.11.2013

Today's Bible story

July 11, 2013

Memorial of Saint Benedict, Abbot

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

★Zondervan King James Audio Bible
http://www.biblegateway.com/audio/dramatized/kjv/Gen.1

-----

+ Saints: St. Benedict
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/saint.php?n=537

-----

Gospel: Matthew 10:7-15

7 As you go, preach, saying, 'The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!'

8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers,† and cast out demons. Freely you received, so freely give.

9 Don't take any gold, silver, or brass in your money belts.

10 Take no bag for your journey, neither two coats, nor shoes, nor staff: for the labourer is worthy of his food.

11 Into whatever city or village you enter, find out who in it is worthy; and stay there until you go on.

12 As you enter into the household, greet it.

13 If the household is worthy, let your peace come on it, but if it isn't worthy, let your peace return to you.

14 Whoever doesn't receive you, nor hear your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake off the dust from your feet.

15 Most certainly I tell you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgement than for that city.


†10:8: TR adds "raise the dead,"

-----

Genesis 44:18-21, 23b-29; 45:1-5

18 Then Judah came near to him, and said, "Oh, my lord, please let your servant speak a word in my lord's ears, and don't let your anger burn against your servant; for you are even as Pharaoh.

19 My lord asked his servants, saying, 'Have you a father, or a brother?'

20 We said to my lord, 'We have a father, an old man, and a child of his old age, a little one; and his brother is dead, and he alone is left of his mother; and his father loves him.'

21 You said to your servants, 'Bring him down to me, that I may set my eyes on him.'

23b 'Unless your youngest brother comes down with you, you will see my face no more.'

24 When we came up to your servant my father, we told him the words of my lord.

25 Our father said, 'Go again, buy us a little food.'

26 We said, 'We can't go down. If our youngest brother is with us, then we will go down: for we may not see the man's face, unless our youngest brother is with us.'

27 Your servant, my father, said to us, 'You know that my wife bore me two sons:

28 and the one went out from me, and I said, "Surely he is torn in pieces"; and I haven't seen him since.

29 If you take this one also from me, and harm happens to him, you will bring down my grey hairs with sorrow to Sheol.'*
45:1 Then Joseph couldn't control himself before all those who stood before him, and he cried, "Cause everyone to go out from me!" No one else stood with him, while Joseph made himself known to his brothers.

2 He wept aloud. The Egyptians heard, and the house of Pharaoh heard.

3 Joseph said to his brothers, "I am Joseph! Does my father still live?"
His brothers couldn't answer him; for they were terrified at his presence.

4 Joseph said to his brothers, "Come near to me, please."
They came near. "He said, I am Joseph, your brother, whom you sold into Egypt.

5 Now don't be grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life.


*44:29: Sheol is the place of the dead.

-----

* 1 Samuel 25:14-24, 28-39

14 But one of the young men told Abigail, Nabal's wife, saying, "Behold, David sent messengers out of the wilderness to Greet our master; and he insulted them.

15 But the men were very good to us, and we were not harmed, and we didn't miss anything, as long as we went with them, when we were in the fields.

16 They were a wall to us both by night and by day, all the while we were with them keeping the sheep.

17 Now therefore know and consider what you will do; for evil is determined against our master, and against all his house; for he is such a worthless fellow that one can't speak to him."

18 Then Abigail hurried and took two hundred loaves of bread, two bottles of wine, five sheep ready dressed, five seahs* of parched grain, one hundred clusters of raisins, and two hundred cakes of figs, and laid them on donkeys.

19 She said to her young men, "Go on before me. Behold, I am coming after you." But she didn't tell her husband, Nabal.

20 As she rode on her donkey, and came down by the covert of the mountain, that behold, David and his men came down towards her, and she met them.

21 Now David had said, "Surely in vain have I kept all that this fellow has in the wilderness, so that nothing was missed of all that pertained to him. He has returned me evil for good.

22 God do so to the enemies of David, and more also, if I leave of all that belongs to him by the morning light so much as one who urinates on a wall." †

23 When Abigail saw David, she hurried and got off of her donkey, and fell before David on her face, and bowed herself to the ground.

24 She fell at his feet, and said, "On me, my lord, on me be the blame! Please let your servant speak in your ears. Hear the words of your servant.

28 Please forgive the trespass of your servant. For the LORD will certainly make my lord a sure house, because my lord fights the LORD's battles. Evil will not be found in you all your days.

29 Though men may rise up to pursue you, and to seek your soul, yet the soul of my lord will be bound in the bundle of life with the LORD your God. He will sling out the souls of your enemies, as from the hollow of a sling.

30 It will come to pass, when the LORD has done to my lord according to all the good that he has spoken concerning you, and has appointed you prince over Israel,

31 that this shall be no grief to you, nor offence of heart to my lord, either that you have shed blood without cause, or that my lord has avenged himself. When the LORD has dealt well with my lord, then remember your servant."

32 David said to Abigail, "Blessed is the LORD, the God of Israel, who sent you today to meet me!

33 Blessed is your discretion, and blessed are you, who have kept me today from blood guiltiness, and from avenging myself with my own hand.

34 For indeed, as the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, who has withheld me from harming you, unless you had hurried and come to meet me, surely there wouldn't have been left to Nabal by the morning light so much as one who urinates on a wall."§

35 So David received from her hand that which she had brought him. Then he said to her, "Go up in peace to your house. Behold, I have listened to your voice, and have granted your request."

36 Abigail came to Nabal; and behold, he held a feast in his house, like the feast of a king. Nabal's heart was merry within him, for he was very drunk. Therefore she told him nothing, until the morning light.

37 In the morning, when the wine had gone out of Nabal, his wife told him these things, and his heart died within him, and he became as a stone.

38 About ten days later, the LORD struck Nabal, so that he died.

39 When David heard that Nabal was dead, he said, "Blessed is the LORD, who has pleaded the cause of my reproach from the hand of Nabal, and has kept back his servant from evil. The LORD has returned the evildoing of Nabal on his own head." David sent and spoke concerning Abigail, to take her to himself as wife.


*25:18: 1 seah is about 7 litres or 1.9 gallons or 0.8 pecks

†25:22: or, male.

§25:34: or, one male.

-----

☆The New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE)
http://www.usccb.org/bible/books-of-the-bible/

☆Douay-Rheims Bible
http://www.drbo.org/

-----