7.22.2013

Today's Bible story

July 22, 2013

Memorial of Saint Mary Magdalene

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

-----

+ Saints: St. Mary Magdalene
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/saint.php?n=309

-----

Gospel: John 20:1-2, 11-18

1 Now on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene went early, while it was still dark, to the tomb, and saw the stone taken away from the tomb.

2 Therefore she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and said to them, "They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we don't know where they have laid him!"

11 But Mary was standing outside at the tomb weeping. So, as she wept, she stooped and looked into the tomb,

12 and she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head, and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.

13 They told her, "Woman, why are you weeping?"
She said to them, "Because they have taken away my Lord, and I don't know where they have laid him."

14 When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing, and didn't know that it was Jesus.

15 Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Who are you looking for?"
She, supposing him to be the gardener, said to him, "Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away."

16 Jesus said to her, "Mary."
She turned and said to him, "Rabboni!"* which is to say, "Teacher!"†

17 Jesus said to her, "Don't hold me, for I haven't yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brothers, and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"

18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had said these things to her.


*20:16: Rabboni is a transliteration of the Hebrew word for "great teacher."

†20:16: or, Master

-----

Exodus 14:5-18

5 The king of Egypt was told that the people had fled; and the heart of Pharaoh and of his servants was changed towards the people, and they said, "What is this we have done, that we have let Israel go from serving us?"

6 He prepared his chariot, and took his army with him;

7 and he took six hundred chosen chariots, and all the chariots of Egypt, and captains over all them.

8 Yahweh hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued the children of Israel; for the children of Israel went out with a high hand.

9 The Egyptians pursued them. All the horses and chariots of Pharaoh, his horsemen, and his army overtook them encamping by the sea, beside Pihahiroth, before Baal Zephon.

10 When Pharaoh came near, the children of Israel lifted up their eyes, and behold, the Egyptians were marching after them; and they were very afraid. The children of Israel cried out to Yahweh.

11 They said to Moses, "Because there were no graves in Egypt, have you taken us away to die in the wilderness? Why have you treated us this way, to bring us out of Egypt?

12 Isn't this the word that we spoke to you in Egypt, saying, 'Leave us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians?' For it were better for us to serve the Egyptians, than that we should die in the wilderness."

13 Moses said to the people, "Don't be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of Yahweh, which he will work for you today: for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you shall never see them again.

14 Yahweh will fight for you, and you shall be still."

15 Yahweh said to Moses, "Why do you cry to me? Speak to the children of Israel, that they go forward.

16 Lift up your rod, and stretch out your hand over the sea, and divide it: and the children of Israel shall go into the middle of the sea on dry ground.

17 Behold, I myself will harden the hearts of the Egyptians, and they shall go in after them: and I will get myself honor over Pharaoh, and over all his armies, over his chariots, and over his horsemen.

18 The Egyptians shall know that I am Yahweh, when I have gotten myself honor over Pharaoh, over his

-----

Exodus 15:1bc-2, 3-4, 5-6

1bc and said,

"I will sing to Yahweh, for he has triumphed gloriously.
The horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.

2 Yah is my strength and song.
He has become my salvation.
This is my God, and I will praise him;
my father's God, and I will exalt him.

3 Yahweh is a man of war.
Yahweh is his name.

4 He has cast Pharaoh's chariots and his army into the sea.
His chosen captains are sunk in the Red Sea.

5 The deeps cover them.
They went down into the depths like a stone.

6 Your right hand, Yahweh, is glorious in power.
Your right hand, Yahweh, dashes the enemy in pieces.

-----

( Song of Solomon 3:1-4a or 2 Corinthians 5:14-17 )

Song of Solomon 3:1-4a

1 By night on my bed,
I sought him whom my soul loves.
I sought him, but I didn't find him.

2 I will get up now, and go about the city;
in the streets and in the squares I will seek him whom my soul loves.
I sought him, but I didn't find him.

3 The watchmen who go about the city found me;
"Have you seen him whom my soul loves?"

4a I had scarcely passed from them,
when I found him whom my soul loves.


or 2 Corinthians 5:14-17

14 For the love of Christ constrains us; because we judge thus, that one died for all, therefore all died.

15 He died for all, that those who live should no longer live to themselves, but to him who for their sakes died and rose again.

16 Therefore we know no one after the flesh from now on. Even though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now we know him so no more.

17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old things have passed away. Behold,* all things have become new.


*5:17: "Behold", from "?δο?", means look at, take notice, observe, see, or gaze at. It is often used as an interjection.

-----

* 2 Samuel18:6-17, 24-19:5

18:6 So the people went out into the field against Israel; and the battle was in the forest of Ephraim.

7 The people of Israel were struck there before David's servants, and there was a great slaughter there that day of twenty thousand men.

8 For the battle was there spread over the surface of all the country, and the forest devoured more people that day than the sword devoured.

9 Absalom happened to meet David's servants. Absalom was riding on his mule, and the mule went under the thick boughs of a great oak, and his head caught hold of the oak, and he was taken up between the sky and earth; and the mule that was under him went on.

10 A certain man saw it, and told Joab, and said, "Behold, I saw Absalom hanging in an oak."

11 Joab said to the man who told him, "Behold, you saw it, and why didn't you strike him there to the ground? I would have given you ten pieces of silver, and a sash."

12 The man said to Joab, "Though I should receive a thousand pieces of silver in my hand, I still wouldn't stretch out my hand against the king's son; for in our hearing the king commanded you and Abishai and Ittai, saying, 'Beware that no one touch the young man Absalom.'

13 Otherwise if I had dealt falsely against his life (and there is no matter hidden from the king), then you yourself would have set yourself against me."

14 Then Joab said, "I'm not going to wait like this with you." He took three darts in his hand, and thrust them through the heart of Absalom, while he was yet alive in the middle of the oak.

15 Ten young men who bore Joab's armor surrounded and struck Absalom, and killed him.

16 Joab blew the trumpet, and the people returned from pursuing after Israel; for Joab held the people back.

17 They took Absalom and cast him into the great pit in the forest, and raised over him a very great heap of stones. Then all Israel fled, each to his own tent.

24 Now David was sitting between the two gates; and the watchman went up to the roof of the gate to the wall, and lifted up his eyes, and looked, and, behold, a man running alone.

25 The watchman cried, and told the king. The king said, "If he is alone, there is news in his mouth." He came closer and closer.

26 The watchman saw another man running; and the watchman called to the porter, and said, "Behold, a man running alone!"
The king said, "He also brings news."

27 The watchman said, "I think the running of the first one is like the running of Ahimaaz the son of Zadok."
The king said, "He is a good man, and comes with good news."

28 Ahimaaz called, and said to the king, "All is well." He bowed himself before the king with his face to the earth, and said, "Blessed is Yahweh your God, who has delivered up the men who lifted up their hand against my lord the king!"

29 The king said, "Is it well with the young man Absalom?"
Ahimaaz answered, "When Joab sent the king's servant, even me your servant, I saw a great tumult, but I don't know what it was."

30 The king said, "Turn aside, and stand here." He turned aside, and stood still.

31 Behold, the Cushite came. The Cushite said, "News for my lord the king, for Yahweh has avenged you today of all those who rose up against you."

32 The king said to the Cushite, "Is it well with the young man Absalom?"
The Cushite answered, "May the enemies of my lord the king, and all who rise up against you to do you harm, be as that young man is."

33 The king was much moved, and went up to the room over the gate, and wept. As he went, he said, "My son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! I wish I had died for you, Absalom, my son, my son!"

19:1 Joab was told, "Behold, the king weeps and mourns for Absalom."

2 The victory that day was turned into mourning among all the people; for the people heard it said that day, "The king grieves for his son."

3 The people sneaked into the city that day, as people who are ashamed steal away when they flee in battle.

4 The king covered his face, and the king cried with a loud voice, "My son Absalom, Absalom, my son, my son!"

5 Joab came into the house to the king, and said, "Today you have shamed the faces of all your servants, who today have saved your life, and the lives of your sons and of your daughters, and the lives of your wives, and the lives of your concubines;

-----

☆The New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE)
http://www.usccb.org/bible/books-of-the-bible/

☆Douay-Rheims Bible
http://www.drbo.org/

★Zondervan King James Audio Bible
http://www.biblegateway.com/audio/dramatized/kjv/Gen.1

FREE King James Version Bible Download.
http://www.biblepath.com/bible_download.html

-----