12.23.2012

Today's Bible story

December 23, 2012

Fourth Sunday of Advent.

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.

-----

+ Saints:
St. Thorlak of Iceland

-----

+ First Reading: Micah 5:1-4a

1 Now you shall gather yourself in troops,
daughter of troops.
He has laid siege against us.
They will strike the judge of Israel with a rod on the cheek.

2 But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
being small among the clans of Judah,
out of you one will come out to me that is to be ruler in Israel;
whose goings out are from of old, from ancient times.

3 Therefore he will abandon them until the time that she who is in labor gives birth.
Then the rest of his brothers will return to the children of Israel.

4a He shall stand, and shall shepherd in the strength of Yahweh,
in the majesty of the name of Yahweh his God:

(and they will live, for then he will be great to the ends of the earth.)

-----

+ Psalm: Psalms 80:1-2, 14-15, 17-18

1 Hear us, Shepherd of Israel,
you who lead Joseph like a flock,
you who sit above the cherubim, shine out.

2 Before Ephraim and Benjamin and Manasseh, stir up your might!
Come to save us!

14 Turn again, we beg you, God of Armies.
Look down from heaven, and see, and visit this vine,

15 the stock which your right hand planted,
the branch that you made strong for yourself.

17 Let your hand be on the man of your right hand,
on the son of man whom you made strong for yourself.

18 So we will not turn away from you.
Revive us, and we will call on your name.

-----

+ Second Reading: Hebrews 10:5-10

5 Therefore when he comes into the world, he says,
"Sacrifice and offering you didn't desire,
but you prepared a body for me.

6 You had no pleasure in whole burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin.

7 Then I said, 'Behold, I have come (in the scroll of the book it is written of me)
to do your will, O God.'"☆

8 Previously saying, "Sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin you didn't desire, neither had pleasure in them" (those which are offered according to the law),

9 then he has said, "Behold, I have come to do your will." He takes away the first, that he may establish the second,

10 by which will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

☆10:7: Psalm 40:6-8

-----

+ Gospel: Luke 1:39-45

39 Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Judah,

40 and entered into the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth.

41 When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.

42 She called out with a loud voice, and said, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!

43 Why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

44 For behold, when the voice of your greeting came into my ears, the baby leaped in my womb for joy!

45 Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of the things which have been spoken to her from the Lord!"

-----

+ Today's Reading: Isaiah 43:18-28

18 "Don't remember the former things,
and don't consider the things of old.

19 Behold, I will do a new thing.
It springs out now.
Don't you know it?
I will even make a way in the wilderness,
and rivers in the desert.

20 The animals of the field shall honor me,
the jackals and the ostriches;
because I give water in the wilderness and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my people, my chosen,

21 the people which I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.

22 Yet you have not called on me, Jacob;
but you have been weary of me, Israel.

23 You have not brought me of your sheep for burnt offerings;
neither have you honored me with your sacrifices.
I have not burdened you with offerings,
nor wearied you with frankincense.

24 You have bought me no sweet cane with money,
nor have you filled me with the fat of your sacrifices;
but you have burdened me with your sins.
You have wearied me with your iniquities.

25 I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake;
and I will not remember your sins.

26 Put me in remembrance.
Let us plead together.
Declare your case,
that you may be justified.

27 Your first father sinned,
and your teachers have transgressed against me.

28 Therefore I will profane the princes of the sanctuary;
and I will make Jacob a curse,
and Israel an insult."

-----