6.30.2012

Today's Bible story

June 30, 2012

Saturday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/calendar.php

Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
http://ebible.org/web/

We hope that everyone in the peace of the Lord.

-----

+ Saints: The First Holy Martyrs of the Holy Roman Church

-----

+ First Reading: Lamentations 2:2, 10-14, 18-19

2 The Lord has swallowed up all the habitations of Jacob, and has not pitied:
He has thrown down in his wrath the strongholds of the daughter of Judah;
He has brought them down to the ground; he has profaned the kingdom and its princes.

10 The elders of the daughter of Zion sit on the ground, they keep silence;
They have cast up dust on their heads; they have clothed themselves with sackcloth:
The virgins of Jerusalem hang down their heads to the ground.

11 My eyes do fail with tears, my heart is troubled;
My liver is poured on the earth, because of the destruction of the daughter of my people,
Because the young children and the infants swoon in the streets of the city.

12 They tell their mothers, Where is grain and wine?
When they swoon as the wounded in the streets of the city,
When their soul is poured out into their mothers' bosom.

13 What shall I testify to you? what shall I liken to you, daughter of Jerusalem?
What shall I compare to you, that I may comfort you, virgin daughter of Zion?
For your breach is great like the sea: who can heal you?

14 Your prophets have seen for you false and foolish visions;
They have not uncovered your iniquity, to bring back your captivity,
but have seen for you false oracles and causes of banishment.

18 Their heart cried to the Lord:
wall of the daughter of Zion, let tears run down like a river day and night;
Give yourself no respite; don't let the apple of your eye cease.

19 Arise, cry out in the night, at the beginning of the watches;
Pour out your heart like water before the face of the Lord:
Lift up your hands toward him for the life of your young children, that faint for hunger at the head of every street.

-----

+ Psalm: Psalms 74:1-7, 20-21

1 God, why have you rejected us forever?
Why does your anger smolder against the sheep of your pasture?

2 Remember your congregation, which you purchased of old,
which you have redeemed to be the tribe of your inheritance;
Mount Zion, in which you have lived.

3 Lift up your feet to the perpetual ruins,
all the evil that the enemy has done in the sanctuary.

4 Your adversaries have roared in the midst of your assembly.
They have set up their standards as signs.

5 They behaved like men wielding axes,
cutting through a thicket of trees.

6 Now they break all its carved work down with hatchet and hammers.

7 They have burned your sanctuary to the ground.
They have profaned the dwelling place of your Name.

20 Honor your covenant,
for haunts of violence fill the dark places of the earth.

21 Don't let the oppressed return ashamed.
Let the poor and needy praise your name.

-----

+ Gospel: Matthew 8:5-17

5 When he came into Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking him,

6 and saying, "Lord, my servant lies in the house paralyzed, grievously tormented."

7 Jesus said to him, "I will come and heal him."

8 The centurion answered, "Lord, I'm not worthy for you to come under my roof. Just say the word, and my servant will be healed.

9 For I am also a man under authority, having under myself soldiers. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and tell another, 'Come,' and he comes; and tell my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."

10 When Jesus heard it, he marveled, and said to those who followed, "Most certainly I tell you, I haven't found so great a faith, not even in Israel.

11 I tell you that many will come from the east and the west, and will sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the Kingdom of Heaven,

12 but the children of the Kingdom will be thrown out into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

13 Jesus said to the centurion, "Go your way. Let it be done for you as you have believed." His servant was healed in that hour.

14 When Jesus came into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother lying sick with a fever.

15 He touched her hand, and the fever left her. She got up and served him. *TR reads "them" instead of "him"

16 When evening came, they brought to him many possessed with demons. He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick;

17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through Isaiah the prophet, saying: "He took our infirmities, and bore our diseases."†Isaiah 53:4

*8:15: TR reads "them" instead of "him"

†8:17: Isaiah 53:4

-----

+ Today's Reading: Nehemiah 2:9-20

9 Then I came to the governors beyond the River, and gave them the king's letters. Now the king had sent with me captains of the army and horsemen.

10 When Sanballat the Horonite, and Tobiah the servant, the Ammonite, heard of it, it grieved them exceedingly, because a man had come to seek the welfare of the children of Israel.

11 So I came to Jerusalem, and was there three days.

12 I arose in the night, I and some few men with me; neither told I any man what my God put into my heart to do for Jerusalem; neither was there any animal with me, except the animal that I rode on.

13 I went out by night by the valley gate, even toward the jackal's well, and to the dung gate, and viewed the walls of Jerusalem, which were broken down, and its gates were consumed with fire.

14 Then I went on to the spring gate and to the king's pool: but there was no place for the animal that was under me to pass.

15 Then went I up in the night by the brook, and viewed the wall; and I turned back, and entered by the valley gate, and so returned.

16 The rulers didn't know where I went, or what I did; neither had I as yet told it to the Jews, nor to the priests, nor to the nobles, nor to the rulers, nor to the rest who did the work.

17 Then I said to them, "You see the evil case that we are in, how Jerusalem lies waste, and its gates are burned with fire. Come, let us build up the wall of Jerusalem, that we won't be disgraced."

18 I told them of the hand of my God which was good on me, as also of the king's words that he had spoken to me.
They said, "Let's rise up and build." So they strengthened their hands for the good work.

19 But when Sanballat the Horonite, and Tobiah the servant, the Ammonite, and Geshem the Arabian, heard it, they ridiculed us, and despised us, and said, "What is this thing that you are doing? Will you rebel against the king?"

20 Then answered I them, and said to them, "The God of heaven will prosper us. Therefore we, his servants, will arise and build; but you have no portion, nor right, nor memorial, in Jerusalem."

-----