2.18.2013

Today's Bible story

February 18, 2013
Monday of the First Week of Lent

We hope that today is a good day.

Today's Bible story based on the calendar of the Catholic Church.
Most of these contents are things of The World English Bible.
-----
+ Saints: St. Simon
-----

Leviticus 19:1-2、11-18

1 Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying, 2 "Speak to all the congregation of the children of Israel, and tell them, 'You shall be holy; for I, Yahweh your God, am holy.
11 "'You shall not steal. "'You shall not lie. "'You shall not deceive one another.
12 "'You shall not swear by my name falsely, and profane the name of your God. I am Yahweh.
13 "'You shall not oppress your neighbor, nor rob him. "'The wages of a hired servant shall not remain with you all night until the morning.
14 "'You shall not curse the deaf, nor put a stumbling block before the blind; but you shall fear your God. I am Yahweh.
15 "'You shall do no injustice in judgment. You shall not be partial to the poor, nor show favoritism to the great; but you shall judge your neighbor in righteousness.
16 "'You shall not go up and down as a slanderer among your people. "'You shall not endanger the life*literally, "blood" of your neighbor. I am Yahweh.
17 "'You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.
18 "'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people; but you shall love your neighbor as yourself. I am Yahweh.
-----

Gospel: Matthew 25:31-46

31 "But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory.
32 Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
33 He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then the King will tell those on his right hand, 'Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;
35 for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in.
36 I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.'
37 "Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink?
38 When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you?
39 When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?'
40 "The King will answer them, 'Most certainly I tell you, because you did it to one of the least of these my brothers‡The word for "brothers" here may be also correctly translated "brothers and sisters" or "siblings." , you did it to me.'
41 Then he will say also to those on the left hand, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels;
42 for I was hungry, and you didn't give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink;
43 I was a stranger, and you didn't take me in; naked, and you didn't clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn't visit me.'
44 "Then they will also answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn't help you?'
45 "Then he will answer them, saying, 'Most certainly I tell you, because you didn't do it to one of the least of these, you didn't do it to me.'
46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
‡25:40: The word for "brothers" here may be also correctly translated "brothers and sisters" or "siblings."
-----

* Deuteronomy 7:6-14、8:1-6

7:6 For you are a holy people to Yahweh your God. Yahweh your God has chosen you to be a people for his own possession, above all peoples who are on the face of the earth.
7 Yahweh didn't set his love on you, nor choose you, because you were more in number than any people; for you were the fewest of all peoples:
8 but because Yahweh loves you, and because he desires to keep the oath which he swore to your fathers, Yahweh has brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.
9 Know therefore that Yahweh your God himself is God, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and loving kindness with them who love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations,
10 and repays those who hate him to their face, to destroy them. He will not be slack to him who hates him. He will repay him to his face.
11 You shall therefore keep the commandments, the statutes, and the ordinances, which I command you today, to do them.
12 It shall happen, because you listen to these ordinances, and keep and do them, that Yahweh your God will keep with you the covenant and the loving kindness which he swore to your fathers.
13 He will love you, bless you, multiply you. He will also bless the fruit of your body and the fruit of your ground, your grain and your new wine and your oil, the increase of your livestock and the young of your flock, in the land which he swore to your fathers to give you.
14 You shall be blessed above all peoples. There shall not be male or female barren among you, or among your livestock.
8:1 You shall observe to do all the commandments which I command you today, that you may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land which Yahweh swore to your fathers.
2 You shall remember all the way which Yahweh your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, to prove you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments, or not.
3 He humbled you, and allowed you to be hungry, and fed you with manna, which you didn't know, neither did your fathers know; that he might teach you that man does not live by bread only, but man lives by every word that proceeds out of Yahweh's mouth.
4 Your clothing didn't grow old on you, neither did your foot swell, these forty years.
5 You shall consider in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so Yahweh your God disciplines you.
6 You shall keep the commandments of Yahweh your God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.
-----